Bringing more than 30 years of dedicated public service as governor of California, U.S. senator, mayor of San Diego and California state assemblyman, Pete Wilson is a principal in Bingham Consulting Group, based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He is also of counsel to Bingham McCutchen.
Pete strengthens Bingham Consulting’s West Coast services by expanding its reach and experience nationally and internationally, particularly where business and governmental interests intertwine.
With a deep knowledge of policies, people and processes of government at all levels, he reinforces Bingham Consulting’s philosophy that today’s successful businesses need to work with governments — not only in Washington, D.C. — but on a state-by-state basis.
As governor of California from 1991 to 1999, he is credited with leading California from the depths of recession to prosperous economic recovery. Insisting on strict budget discipline and rehabilitation of the state’s then-hostile environment toward investment and job creation, Pete provided for market-based unsubsidized health coverage for employees of small businesses and obtained anti-fraud measures that drove down workers’ compensation premiums by 40 percent. Under his leadership, California also enacted sweeping welfare reforms and historic education reforms.
After leaving office, he spent two years as a managing director of Pacific Capital Group, a merchant bank based in Los Angeles. He serves as a director of the Irvine Company, U.S. Telepacific Corporation, Inc., National Information Consortium Inc. and IDT Entertainment. He is a member of the board of advisers of Thomas Weisel Partners, a San Francisco merchant bank. He also served as chairman of the Japan Task Force of the Pacific Council on International Policy, which produced an analysis of Japanese economic and national security prospects over the next decade titled “Can Japan Come Back?”
- Herbert Hoover Institution of Stanford University, Distinguished Visiting Fellow, concentrating on the reform of primary and secondary education, and national security issues.
- President Bush’s Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board, past member Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld’s Defense Policy Board, past member
- The National World War II Museum, Chairman of the Board
- The Richard M. Nixon Library and Birthplace Foundations, board member
- The Donald Bren Foundation, board member
- California Mentor Foundation, founding director