Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership, character, communication skills, academic achievement, and commitment to Ventura County.
- Be high school seniors who will graduate from a high school in Ventura County, California, in winter 2016 or spring 2017. Homeschooled high school seniors in Ventura County, California, are eligible to apply.
- Secure two recommendations by authority figures who have observed them in a leadership role, including a teacher.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent.
- Plan to enroll in full-time undergraduate study toward a bachelor’s degree at an accredited four-year college or university in the United States for the entire upcoming academic year.
- Be citizens of the United States of America.
Awards will generally range from $1,000-$10,000 and will be determined by the Foundation. Awards are not renewable and are for one time only. Awards are for undergraduate study only and may be used for education related expenses: tuition, fees, books, supplies room and board. Top award recipients also may choose a teacher who will receive a grant of $500.
Qualified candidates may apply online starting January 3, 2017 through February 20, 2017. To be considered for this award, candidates must complete the secure online application and all of its components prior to the deadline. Deadline extensions will not be granted, and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
Semifinalists will be contacted in March and asked to submit an additional application component. Semifinalists, their families, and their school administrators will be invited to an awards dinner at the Reagan Library in May 2017. Recipients will be announced at the event.